Tax Time Tips and Encouragement
This will be shorty but a goody for any of you who are still working on taxes. Yes, I’m right there with you during this season of tax time “joys.”
I’ve been working on them slowly over the past couple of weeks. I’m almost done, IF my printer starts cooperating better. (Why do printers always pick tax prep week for throwing temper tantrums!!!)
For those who might still be looking for tax time help, I did some research and found some recommendations from people I know. I have not used any myself but have added them to both my Pinterest board – Tax Info and my board, “Local Businesses” – to help you and for future reference for myself and they would be the first ones I would call. I also added the IRS and State tax sites to my Tax Info board.
When Are Taxes Due 2016?
Here are some more tax time articles that may be useful to you. And GUESS WHAT I just discovered. TAX DAY is NOT April 15, 2016 this year. It is APRIL 18, 2016!!! Hooray for Emancipation Day for a variety of reasons including being a holiday that staves off tax day one extra weekend. And YES, that is true for the California state taxes as well. 😉 Now that is GOOD tax time news!
I read this article by the Kansas City Star and at first, thought they meant last year. But upon closer reading, sure enough, they meant THIS year! Just to be safe, I then went to the IRS site and YES! They confirmed it,
“When to file
Generally, April 15 of each year is the due date for filing your federal individual income tax return if you are a calendar year filer whose tax year ends on December 31. If you use a fiscal year (which is a year ending on the last day of any month other than December), your return is due on or before the 15th day of the fourth month after the close of your fiscal year. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day (for example, Friday, April 15, 2016, is Emancipation Day, so tax year 2015 returns are due Monday, April 18, 2016. Taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts observe Patriots’ Day on April 18, 2016, so they will have until Tuesday, April 19, 2016 to file). Your return is considered filed timely if the envelope is properly addressed and postmarked by the due date.” Click here to read more.
I personally hope that I get my taxes in shortly. But just the sense of knowing we have an extra couple of days makes this a much more relaxing tax week, don’t you think?
More articles of interest:
- IRS Internal Revenue Service – Where you should be able to find ALL 2016 income tax rules as well as all the tax forms 2016 for federal taxes
- State of California Franchise Tax Board – Where you should be able to find ALL 2016 income tax rules for state taxes as well as all their tax forms 2016
- Taxes: Some of the Top Tax Deductions For Homeowners
- Personally, even though I am a MEGA app user, I have not used and currently have no intention of using apps for filing taxes. But in case you do, Smartphone tax apps bring filing to your fingertips
- Last-minute tax return filing tips
- If you bought a home in the last year, be sure got have your settlement statement – HUD1 form at hand
- Nice to know there is plenty of company – Tax Tips for Last-Minute Filers – Wall Street Journal – About one-third of taxpayers wait until the last two weeks to file with the IRS
- 6 Tips to Help You Maximize Your Tax Refund from local Fox40
Affordable Care Act – and form 1095 from the IRS
- Form 1095B and What You Need To Do With It
- Questions and Answers about Health Care Information Forms for Individuals (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C)
- What is Form 1095 – You will need your Form 1095-A when you prepare your taxes for 2015.
- Getting the Right Tax Credit
Hooray For A Slight Tax Day Delay
Hopefully these tax time links will help speed you a bit faster through the process. Have a great week and here’s hoping we ALL get a GREAT tax refund 2016. 😉 And again – HOORAY for a slight DELAY (ooooh – all these fun rhymes. My grandkids would be quite proud of me! )